Some academic departments offer concurrent degree programs that allow students to pursue a bachelor’s degree and a master’s degree at the same time. Eligibility for financial aid will vary depending on whether a student is classified as a graduate or undergraduate student.

Students in concurrent programs are classified as undergraduates until they complete their undergraduate degree requirements or complete eight semesters of full-time study. All concurrent program students are considered to be graduate students in their fifth year of study, even if undergraduate degree requirements have not been met. Graduate students are no longer eligible for JHU grant assistance. This includes Bloomberg Scholarship, Hodson Scholarship, and Westgate Scholarship.

Graduate students may be eligible for partial tuition waivers or for research and teaching assistantships. The amounts of these awards are determined by the academic department or program. Graduate students may also qualify for federal student loans and/or work-study, and should follow the graduate aid application procedures.

Loan limits for the federal student loan programs change when a student’s classification changes from undergraduate to graduate. The annual maximum of combined subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Direct Student Loan for an undergraduate junior or senior is $7,500. The annual maximum Federal Direct Student Loan for a graduate student (in any year of his or her program) is $20,500. A student who is classified as a graduate student is no longer eligible for undergraduate federal student aid including Federal Pell Grant, Federal SEOG, subsidized Federal Direct Student Loans, or Federal Direct Parent PLUS loans.

For information about the concurrent degree programs in the Krieger School of Arts & Sciences and the Whiting School of Engineering, see your academic advisor.